Blackberry Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
At the moment, I have a crush on wild-growing berries and I love to hunt for berries. If one combines these seasonal (and free) delicacies with my chocolate addiction, the result is a delicious blackberry chocolate cupcake with chocolate and blackberry juice ganache frosting…
… and I think they look absolutely amazing too! Oh and it could be vegan as well, only a couple of little changes are necessary to do. Just simply follow the required replacements written under ‘Notes’.
- 200-250 g fresh blackberries
- 200 g plain flour
- 200 g granulated sugar, divided into 50g/150g
- 70g cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 70 g butter, soft/room temperature
- 1 egg
- 200 ml milk
- 150 g chocolate, dark
- (juice that you get from the blackberries, see below)
- Fresh blackberries, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the blackberries with 50 g of the sugar. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the berries are swimming in their juices. Remove from heat. Strain, save the liquid for later use of the Ganache frosting and set the solid fruit aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a cupcake pan with baking cups or use silicone cupcake molds.
- In a large bowl mix butter (or oil - vegan version) sugar and vanilla extract, beat together until they take on a light, airy texture.
- In a second bowl stir together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add gradually and alternately the flour mixture and the milk into the large bowl. Always beat between these steps until it is smooth. Gently fold in the blackberry solids with a spatula.
- Divide batter evenly between 15 baking cups, so that they are about 3/4 full and bake for around 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from baking pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime start to prepare the chocolate ganache frosting by melting the chocolate in a bain-marie. When melted, pour over the blackberry juice and stir until smooth. Allow the frosting to rest on the counter until it thickens (around 1/2 hour). Stir occasionally and check that it doesn't thicken too much.
- When the cupcakes have cooled down completely and the chocolate ganache is ready, whip the latter again until it feels lighter. Place frosting in a pastry bag and pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. Garnish with fresh blackberries, chopped chocolate or icing sugar.
- For the vegan version: Replace the cow milk by soy or almond milk, replace butter by 80 ml of oil and leave out the egg.
- If you don't have a pastry bag use a plastic bag with the corner cut out.