Number 4 of my Top 10 healthy and fast endurance sport recipes
The quick LASAGNA! It took me only 40 minutes to prepare one, including baking time! It might not have any superfoods for endurance athletes but it contains a great deal of carbs, which provide your body with fuel, and some vegetables that are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. So it is what one expects of athletes to consume.
You could even make a bunch of lasagna, eat it all week or freeze; and if you’re making it right after a workout, you can take your shower while it is in the oven. Or if you have 20 minutes before your training session, prepare it before, let it the lasagna noodles soak the sauce and it will taste even better.
- lasagna noodles
- italian seasoning
- salt, pepper, paprika powder, cinnamon
- 1 kg Tomato Passata/strained tomatoes
- half a dozen cocktail tomatoes
- 2 sweet peppers, diced
- 2 little carrots, chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- olive oil
- fresh garden herbs, chopped
- 50 g butter
- white wine
- a handful of grated cheese
- 10 minutes: Prepare and chop the onions, peppers, carrots, herbs and so on
- 7 minutes: Add a good dash of good-quality olive oil in a large pot and fry briefly the onions, before adding the carrots, peppers and tomatoes. At the same time, melt at medium heat the butter in another pot. Add the strained tomatoes, fresh herbs, seasoning, cinnamon, paprika powder, salt and pepper into the first pot. Reduce the heat and let it simmer until everything else is ready. Stir occasionally. When the butter has melted, add enough flour to cover the butter, stir. Add slowly alternately a little bit of milk and white wine, whisk constantly and repeat until it is a quite fluid and smooth sauce. It is important to blend well and to add always only a small amount of fluid, otherwise it might get lumpy. Add some salt and pepper, fold in the cheese and set aside.
- 3 minutes: In a very large baking dish, spread some tomato sauce. Layer alternately the lasagna noodles and the tomato sauce. Top a little bit of the remaining tomato sauce, pour over the béchamel sauce. You may like to add more cheese on top.
- 20 minutes: Put in the preheated oven (180°C) and let it bake for about 20 minutes or until it is ready. Enjoy!
- If you feel uncomfortable doing the béchamel sauce yourself, you can also use some ready-made one.
- The white wine lightens the béchamel sauce a bit up and makes it more tasty. You could also use instead cream (if you're not afraid of calories, it's more heavy but yummy) or vegetable stock (1/3 vegetable stock, 2/3 milk)