The Mean Green Recovery Smoothie
Om I have to admit first it sounds odd but yes I put spinach in this smoothie but I can promise that it taste really good. Furthermore this smoothie is a blend of numerous super foods, which make it an ideal post-workout muscle recovery beverage for endurance athletes.
First of all it is made up of milk, which is loaded with carbohydrates and protein. When both are consumed together, muscle tissues are repaired at a faster rate than if consumed separately.
Bananas are probably the most well-known and best pre- and post-workout snacks. They are loaded with potassium and vitamin B6 and re-stock your body with lost electrolytes. In addition vitamin B6 acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
Another super food in this delicious smoothie are the famous chia seeds. These seeds are loaded with calcium, iron and protein, contain a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids and help in retaining moisture.
- 75 g spinach
- 150 g cow milk (alternatively almond or soy milk for vegans)
- 2 bananas
- 1 peach
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds, to sprinkle on
- Put first the spinach and milk in the blender and mix, before adding the remaining ingredients. Make sure that all the spinach is mashed up. The smoothie should have a lushly green colour.
- Sprinkle on the chia seeds before serving.
- Tip: Prepare it before your training session so that you can enjoy it immediately afterwards so that it falls into the one-hour 'window of opportunity' when your glycogen replacement is the fastest.